Thursday, June 17, 2010

Playing Catch-Up!

First-off, I have done a lot of planting in my yard lately. I try to get some stuff done every year with the ultimate goal of having one of those pretty yards that you drive past just a little slower on your way through the neighborhood.

There are several of those around my block, I'll try to get some pictures of my favorites to show y'all! I wanna be in that club.

Bonny got me 3 blueberry bushes and my Mom gave me one too. With help from the husbeast and the Kieffer I got them all planted! (Before they died in the pots waiting for me to decide where to put them) Now, I had all four of these before the flood hit so they've all been waiting a VERY long time for their forever-homes! There are four different kinds, all will berry-out in different months so in a few years when the bushes are huge I will have a metric goat-ton of blueberries that I'll be desperately trying to give away before they rot.



Then I took a quick trip around town to all my favorite nurseries & home superstore garden centers & picked up a few great deals. Below is a planter with a yellow-flowered climber that will grow up (hopefully) my back porch hand rail. It's called Thumbergia and the dark centers of its flowers are really deep purple that looks almost brown. It's planted with purple salvia and purple petunias from my Mom and a purple iris-thing from my neighbor Carl which actually may be a pink gladiolus - his are blooming now and they're magnificent. I'll transplant it somewhere more permanent this fall so it doesn't die in the freeze.



Below are some more of my lucky purchases. I got two beautiful asiatic lilies; a coral & cream color & a bright yellow, a silver mounding artemisia (sp?) and a knock-out rose that I got for TWO DOLLARS! Yup, it had fallen out of its pot and they were going to throw it away. I bought it instead. They normally run somewhere between $15 - $25 for this size bush.




I've also been knitting. I haven't quite got the knitting mojo back, but I'm trudging along & trying to keep interested. Y'know, it's hard for me to knit in spring when the gardening bug takes over what's left of my mind & compels me to do crazy things like spend money we don't have on plants we can't eat...

Below are two socks from one ball of yarn knitted toe-up on one long addi lace needle. Yes, the socks don't look like they come from one ball but it's a watermelon-colored yarn with really long color bands and very soon they will start looking like they're related! I'll post more pictures as the garden and the knitting grow.




Just for updates & giggles, we did finally receive (yesterday) 1/2 our flood insurance check from Bank of America. They only held onto it for a month, collecting interest, prior to kindly giving us half. So we'll be starting to rebuild soon! And as an added benefit I'll also be able to do laundry again too.

I hate Bank of America, I hate them so much it's like a dark physical pain in my soul. I hope someone goes postal and kills every BoA executive in some kind of slow fiery conflaguration that's so horrendous I will barely be able to concieve of the carnage when watching it later on the news. If you're considering it, have faith that I will come to your trial and support you with signs and sincere love. BoA is the devil. Only barely more evil than Regions and only because Regions hides their evilness behind a very thin veil of civility. VERY thin!

The rest of you, have a wonderful & happy day. And keep blogging! I love to read about what's going on in your lives.

No comments: