Thursday, May 14, 2009

Sit & Spin, if that's how you feel about it.

There's been a great deal of flooding this year. Not sweeping people's houses away flooding, but we're at least out of the drought we were having last year. The picture below is a bench that normally isn't in the water - overlooking Percy Priest Dam. As of two days ago, this bench is now completely submerged and more rain is in our forecast!



Pretty flower after the rain, taken at the Nashville Zoo.



Saturday, 5/9/09, I managed to get my lazy butt up and at the zoo by 9am to see some sheep get sheared. I took both boys, who were fascinated for a fraction of a sheep and then disappeared at the speed of light toward "fun" stuff. I found them later soaked to the bone and thoroughly exhausted.

Devon is the shearer's name, if I remember correctly. Not a zoo employee, but hired by them the past 7 years to shear their babies. This is the fattest sheep in the bunch, he called her "Rotunda" but she didn't seem to appreciate the fat jokes. See how ROUND she is though?



Look at all that beautiful fleece! I want it I want it I want it!!!



Apparently my sheeping made a big impression on my family because my Mother's Day present from them was two batts of hand painted roving, a drop spindle, and a hour-long private spinning lesson that I redeemed after work this evening. Look what I made! My teacher said I was doing a remarkable job for a noob & she didn't believe I had never done this before. I think she was jerking my chain, but flattery sure does whet the addiction stone!



I can't wait to make something with this yarn. I'm not going to ply it, I'm going to make something lacy with it just like it is. Something I can keep forever. My other roving is yellows & greens and there's a flat ton of both of them. Plenty to make something special, I'm sure.

I'm off to spin some more!

2 comments:

lette said...

So cool. I'm afraid to try this spinning thing. Because I'd feel like I was cheating on the knitting. Plus, there's no more room for batting/roving in my room. The yarn stash would eat them methinks. ;-)
Where were you knit-night?

Avversiera said...

I was taking a spinning class knit-night, then Sunday I was buying a fleece & testing out Kromski spinning wheels in Dickson.

If I keep insisting that "I do NOT have an addiction" will it eventually be true?